The appearance, hygiene and health of your dog are indicators of the way you take care of your dog. Healthy and clean dogs are better pets and will not transfer infections to you or your children.
Like humans, good grooming includes proper brushing of teeth and gums. This prevents tooth decay and gum disease. Proper hair trimming is also part of dog care. Long hair that are not maintained are particularly susceptible to matting.
Do you want to start a dog grooming business from home? Do you think you are a dog lover and want to make some money out of your interest for grooming pet-dogs? Then starting a Dog- grooming home- business might be the right option for you.
While starting a dog grooming business might look to be fun, there are certain decisions that you will have to make and lots of things you have to take into cognizance. First, you will be dealing with a variety of dogs with different personalities and so it is necessary that you are prepared to handle them, which is why it is necessary to first meet with the dog in order to gauge their personality before offering your services. If the breed is one that you cannot handle, then you can easily decline to offer your services because as a groomer you will be held liable if anything goes wrong.
Regardless of where you intend to operate your business from, it is important that you make some major financial considerations regarding the business especially as you will need to get the equipment you need, get a business license, buy insurance policies and pay for utilities.
Having the proper equipment before you start grooming dogs is important. To do the best job possible when you grooming dogs at home, you need
- a good quality faucet sprayer,
- a good dog bath tub or wash basin that fits the size of your dog
- shampoo for dogs
- some dry towels
- a variable speed blow dryer
- dog nail clippers
- styptic powder
- medicated ear solution
- lots of clean cotton wads
- long nose hair cutters
- hair clippers made for dogs hair
- adjustable collars or a strong leash
Here are few business ideas for you to start a business as Dog- groomer:
- Brush and bathe your Dog: Brushing and bathing are the two most important part of grooming a dog. Maintaining the health and hygiene of Dogs is very essential for its well being. But many owner these days find this task tiresome, messy and monotonous. So, providing this service as a Dog groomer, might be an amazing niche for your business.
- Trimming and clipping: Long-haired breeds, for example, require more trimming around the chest, hocks, belly and pads of the feet than other dogs. To complete this step you may choose to use dog-grooming sheers or a regular pair of hair-cutting scissors. Regardless what you use, just make sure you are extra careful with a sharp blade around the dog’s skin. If you provide this service, this might help you a good amount of money.
- Brushing and Combing the Dog: When it comes to brushes, there are several styles currently on the market. One of the newer types of brushes that are great when you are first learning how to groom a dog is the Furminator. The special tool is made specifically for removing dander and dirt; these brushes come in several colours and sizes. Different breeds of Dogs have different type of body hair, and hence usage of different type of brushes according to the type of dogs you are grooming is very important. This could be a nice business niche for you.
- Train Dogs: Training the dogs is most important when some owns a dog. Providing a dog with the right training requires some skills and knowledge. But once you learn to master this you can make the most of it by making it your profession as a business man. There several commands which you teach the dog such as:
This is one of the easiest dog obedience commands to teach, so it’s a good one to start with.
This command can help keep a dog out of trouble, bringing him back to you if you lose grip on the leash or accidentally leave the front door open.
This can be one of the more difficult commands in dog obedience training. Why? Because the position is a submissive posture. You can help by keeping training positive and relaxed, particularly with fearful or anxious dogs.
Before attempting this one, make sure your dog is an expert at the “Sit” command. This is an exercise in self-control for your dog, so don’t be discouraged if it takes a while to master, particularly for puppies and high-energy dogs. After all, they want to be on the move and not just sitting there waiting.
- Leave it
This can help keep your dog safe when his curiosity gets the better of him, like if he smells something intriguing but possibly dangerous on the ground! The goal is to teach your pup that he gets something even better for ignoring the other items.
- Dogs spa: Providing a dog spa to those dogs who love to be pampered might be a great idea and leave the owner and the dog both happy after the service. If you have enough idea about dogs’ spa, this could be a great business idea.
Take time when grooming the dog and don’t be in a rush. It’s easy to injure an animal if you’re not careful with clippers or other instruments that are sharp. Once you groom the dog several times you’ll determine which methods work the best for you. Try and keep a periodic grooming schedule and maintain it so your dog is well looked after. If you learn how to groom the dog properly, it will save you energy and time while making the dog feel great and also earn you some money as a dog groomer.