Regardless of what you offer, or the business you do, every business needs words. It relies on what words you are using for convincing your customers, converting, and generating sales.
This is why you require a powerful copy that doesn’t limit punctuation and grammar. For creating influential and persuasive content, the business requires understanding more about human psychology.
Well if you are looking to make effective copywriting, here are some of the best tips that can help you and increase the sales for your business.
1. Set A Word Count
It’s important that you be ruthless with your words.
No matter where your copywriting is going, having the worth limit is crucial.
Your consumers have no time for handling your waffle. According to research, you only get 7 seconds for making a good impression online. And it’s not that easy especially when there are many companies and brands out there, looking for the same thing.
That’s why you need to keep your thinking clean and use simple language for creating the copy.
Writing a copy that resonates with your audience is the only way to move them to take action.
To make sure that you copy works, here are some steps that you can follow :
- Go to the brand website that is your favorite.
- Browse different pages like About us, product description, service information, etc.
- Now copy and paste their pieces of copy, use word documents.
- Note the word counts that they have and how they differ.
- Think about the reason behind the word count variation. And what the page is about.
- Now check your word count, and edit to get the result you are hoping for.
2. Use Paragraphs Breaks, A lot Of It
When you are going for digital content, it’s important to pay attention to the paragraph breaks.
your copywriting can be hard to read if it’s hard to absorb. People lose interest if there is a large block of text, that’s why it’s important for understanding the importance of white space.
To make the reading experience easy and pleasurable, you require to keep the sentences short, sharp and use larger fonts.
When you have an easy-to-read web page, it becomes much more effective to get the attention and the buyers focus on what you are selling, this allows you to get more chances to sell your products.
3. Always Put Your Customer First
When you are writing the copy especially for the business, there are chances that you are focusing on the wrong thing
Talking about how long you are trading or what makes the CEO qualified is not what your customers want to know.
This is not about what your business is about, you need to focus on how you can solve the customer’s problems and say what they want to hear.
The readers will consider what’s in it for them., and that makes it important for your copy to be benefit-driven.
To make sure, you do it, here is how you can do it :
- Check if you have any kind of jargon. Do not use the words or reference terms casually which can be hard to understand.
- Check the logical flow, make sure it doesn’t have unnecessary barriers.
- Write down what your copywriting is aiming for,
- you should know the goal and how your words are achieving it.
- Find the balance between assuming what they know already and patronizing them
4. Forget What Your School Told You
The school doesn’t prepare you to be a businessman or run a company. And that’s why understanding what you should unlearn related to copywriting is important.
Because what they taught you is far away from what your business needs in copywriting.
Writing copywriting is important because you focus on grammar and spelling. However, academic writing is much more about structure, conformity, and elaborate vocabulary.
But you can’t communicate well, neither does your brand in such a way of writing.
Copywriting is not about the rules you get taught, to write a great one you need to know when to break those rules.
Well to know how you can do it here what you can follow :
- Get a list of writing guidelines that your school told you. Or you can search it online.
- Highlight the one that you feel inhibited from creating the business copy. For example, starting a sentence from And and But is against the school rules, but Apple doest follow it.
- Now get your list and print it out. Keep the checklist with you.
- You can use it as brand guidelines and compare it against what copy you have.
5. Use Emotions To Drive The Action
The great examples of copywriting as well as brands always use emotions. And there is a very solid reason for that, using emotions can help you in getting sales, leads, and loyal customers.
No matter what you are selling, your copywriting should be about what the customer feels, what it will do for them, and how it will make them feel about the product.
Customers use the logic for justifying their purchases. Since you are using emotions to initiate sales, copy helps in evoking the emotions.
To know how you can use emotions in your copywriting, here are steps for you to follow :
- Write down what your brand can solve the problems and desires.
- Focus on attaching the descriptive emotion for each problem.
- Now do the proper structure, so you can show empathy to readers.
- Talk about how the product or services can be beneficial for them.
- When a customer is looking for a solution, they go through a wide range of emotions.
- Well being a business, the brands require to take the leverage from it.
- Also, your customers always remember the feelings that the company made them feel through their approach.
- It improves loyalty and brand awareness.
6. Add The Proper And Appropriate Keywords
Keywords are useful and help your content to deliver to those who are looking for it. As google requires you to have the keywords you appreciate keywords, you also need to focus on how you are looking for them.
Keywords are how your targeting audience interacts with google. That’s why you need to build your content around the terms that get found online.
Well to find the right keywords, here are some of the points that you can follow:
Identify Your User Intent
Relevant content is based on the searchers and their intent. That’s why you need to know what they are looking for, how they are doing that, and why they are looking for a solution from you.
When you are using the relevant content, it gives a signal to Google that you are an expert in this field, and it also boosts your visibility as google pushes your content up.
Well, some of the search queries are used more time as compared to other queries.
Understanding the keyword volume can help you in getting a general idea about what terms are specifically popular.
Well, this metric helps in understanding the estimated difficulty of ranking on that keyword.
When you choose the high difficulty scores keywords need a lot of time, work. Well for keywords with lower difficulty have better chances of ranking.
Your targeted audience uses different keywords for finding the information online. Well, some of the keywords signal how close or away the customer is for making the purchase decisions.
7. Use Subheading For Making Things Stand Out
Well according to research, 79% of the readers scan the web pages before they decide to read anything.
While doing it, they look for the phrases, words, or images that can hold their eyes or attention.
It’s important for you to know how people usually read the digital copy as you will know how to communicate with them well.
Only 16% of readers read every single word on web pages under the best circumstances.
That’s why you should know how to hold their attention, also give them the information you want them to know.
And for that, you should use the subheadings. It will give a break to your copywriting ‘s long paragraphs, and you can stand out what is important.
To do it properly here is what you can do :
- Break your long pieces into small chunks that can be manageable.
- Add the subheading for introducing each section. Make sure it’s benefit-driven. Also, add keywords and be blunt instead of talking conceptually.
- Keep your subheadings bold.
- As for SEO, keep your subheading h2 and h3.
8. Hire A Professional Copywriter
Business copywriting is not as simple as it looks. Especially if you have no idea how to do it it’s better to hire a professional.
Also being a business, you need to handle a lot of things and above all doing the copywriting on your own will make your schedule hectic.
It’s better to hire a professional copywriter that can handle the work while maintaining effectiveness and helping to achieve the goal.
9. Identify What Your Audience Look For
When you are aiming to write powerful and compelling copywriting, the first thing you should be knowing is your audience and what they are looking for.
The different audience has their specific requirements, questions and they look for the remedy.
Whatever you are selling, It should solve their problem or improve their lives.
The ideal way for crafting your copywriting content is to target the specific question of your audiences such as :
- What are the pain points that they are facing?
- What are they looking for in your product and services?
- What has your potential customer used in the past?
- How can your services and products be beneficial for them?
Take your time to think and come up with the best answer you can. The better answer you have, the better way you know to direct your copywriting.
10. Focus On Telling A Memorable Story
Stories always compel the people, it’s something that holds the attention and stays for a long time.
Also, people learn as well as learn from it. Telling a story can help in evoking emotions and improving engagement.
Well, corporate storytelling can help you in boosting the rates, establishing your brands as memorable, turning more customers loyal, and getting repeat clients.
You can write your own story, add characters that can be adorable, and win people. Tell them something interesting through the copy to make them listen and respond.
When you are writing the story, here are some of the points that you can follow :
- identify who is your hero and who is your villain. You don’t have to find the actual characters, this can be the issue of what the customer is facing as a villain and your product as a hero.
- Move your reader through the journey.
- Create a sense of helping, focus on overcoming the challenges and discover what is valuable as well as new.
11. Look For The Spelling Errors
There is nothing that can make you look not so Professional other than spelling mistakes in your copywriting.
Especially when the customers have more options and they just need one click to choose someone over your brand. Offering a sloppy copy can make your image bad and that will affect sales.
Also here you can’t offer excuses either. That’s why you need to look for spelling errors when you’re finalizing the copy.
The business is about credibility and trust, and your single error can make a huge issue in that.
However, you can ignore that by following these steps :
- Instead of relying on a spell checker, look at it with your own eyes. Also, don’t rely on one if you are using it.
- You should not proof the work on screen, instead of that get the print and review your copywriting on hard paper
- Proof your copy in different times and rooms. This can help you in understanding the errors as it breaks the routine.
- To keep it fresh, read from bottom to up.
12. Be Honest, Authentic & Trustworthy
Well, it’s not easy to convince the reader to pull out their credit card and purchase your product or services.
It takes a lot of truth and convincing to make the transaction.
You need to be honest and authentic, also avoid bluffing about things that you are not going to do.
There are examples online where you can see the brands promising to solve the problems through products and services.
But when they fail, they don’t just lose the customers but their trust as well as credibility too.
To convince your customers, here are few points that can help you :
- Use your about page to expose the customers to your brand ethics.
- Do not copy from someone else, it’s just a big no-no.
- Be true when you are writing the copy.
- Be their savior.
Ditch the sleazy marketing ways, it just makes you sound desperate. Also, people are not that stupid as they can see through your words.
13. Brainstorm For Making A Perfect Headline
Choosing the right and suitable headline for copywriting is one of the hardest parts. It’s your headline that your audience notices on Google.
That’s why having a good headline can help you and make a difference in improving the Click Through Rate as well as engagement.
Without having the headline that can catch your audience’s eyes, no matter how good copywriting you did, you won’t get the readers to click on it.
Well to write the great headlines, here are a few points that you can follow:
Add Special Characters
You can add special characters to your headline. It can include like parentheses, brackets, hyphens, etc that will help in catching the eyes and improving the numbers in clicks.
Add The Odd Numbers
There are lots of examples like the top 10 list, however, odd numbers like 7 and 9 stand out. By adding the numbers you can stand out and improve your headline performance too.
When you add the question, it helps in generating curiosity. Also, it delivers SEO value which helps in getting more visibility. You can build the headline including the short questions.
Use The Keywords
Integrate the keywords to your headline, this improves the SEO and you get the audience who are looking for the answer related to that keyword. You can add one or two keywords.
Use Power Words
You can add powerful words which will help in grabbing the attention of your audience. Also, it boosts the Click-Through Rates.
14. Your Content Should Have Purpose
It’s not your website that will rank, but your pages and posts do. Your audience gets to your website by searching their queries and based on what they are looking for, they find you.
That’s why it’s important for you to know what content is all about and what purpose it serves. This helps in improving the ranks of your pages too, as Google will know what your content is about.
The same goes for your copywriting, what you are looking for, is it for boosting sales or getting new customers?
Are you solving the problems or what you can improve in your customer’s life? Your content should have its purpose to serve.
15. Use The Active Voice
When you use the active voice for marketing, your reader can picture taking actions that help in engaging the services and products.
Instead of passive reading, make sure you are using the active voice. This also gets the potential customers invested in your content.
With the right words, you can engage readers. Also, focus on your human customers instead of giving too much attention to the algorithms.
Well to optimize this to get more engagement that can get you more sales, here what your active vice s should have :
Keep Your Content Concise
When you use concise writing, you can avoid using fluff words. Copywriting including the active voice can help your customer to feel engaged.
Make Your CTAs Better
Use the verbs when you are using the CTAs, this will help your readers to understand what action they need to take action. You can emphasize the product using the combination of active voice and verbs in CTAs.
Avoid Using Jargons
Jargon is not what you should use in your content. Your copywriting requires you to keep it as clear as it can be.
It should be helpful, educating, and approachable. That’s why to keep the jargons away or if it’s urgent, use it minimum.
Use The Power Words
Power words can help you in gaining the attention of your readers. It can be used in headers and by the strategic placement, you can get the best results.
However, it depends on where and how you are using it.
Do Not Use Adverbs
When you are writing your copywriting, you need to avoid adverbs, fluffs, and any kind of confusion.
Also, it will help you in keeping the content clear and also concise.
16. Keep Everyday Language
You are going to win the literacy award by writing a copy for your business. That’s why you should not add words that are hard to understand.
This will risk the message as people will not understand or might be misunderstood.
To avoid confusion, use everyday language. Keep your style down to earth and make sure your tone is friendly yet professional.
Well, you can improve the language and tone your voice by following these points too :
- Find the brands you like the most
- Visit the website and notice their way of speaking to their customers
- Use it as a reference, and innovate your own way then use it in your copywriting
- Print it out and read aloud. See if there is anything that doesn’t go well
- Now give it to someone else, and see what they say about it
17. Be Interesting, Relevant, And Engaging
When you are convening the reader to use your product and purchase it, it’s important to see the approach here.
It’s not about what you are selling, but what way you are going with it. When you have a good and quality copy, you can sell anything to anyone.
Not just that, in this case even your product doesn’t come to the equation.
But it’s important to keep your copy relevant to your audience. Also, it should be relevant and engaging to them.
18. Add Social Proof For Conformity
Your words might be not enough to get your audience to take action.
However, if your copy is good enough, it can be possible but to add the extra push, you can use social proof.
It always helps and also the audience gets the layer of comfort through the conformity. The audience needs assurance, not from the brand but from other users.
Adding the social proof can help you in getting extra nudge, so the customer can be at ease while doing the purchase.
19. Keep Yourself Aware Of Search Engines
There is no point in writing an amazing copy if you are not getting the audience to read it.
According to the stats, there are around 93% of online experiences start with the search engine.
People look for information, even just Google handles around 5.6 billion searches in a day.
That’s why your writing should aim at the people, but also make sure you are aware of SEO and how it affects your goal.
If you are not totally into it, you can handle this by doing the basics. Just focus on doing the keyword research, keep your mobile friendly and make the architecture of your website logical.
20. Don’t Get Distracted
Writing a creative and effective copy is not a piece of cake. It takes time, effort, energy, and time.
If you are not hiring the expert and planning to do it one, it can be challenging but it’s not impossible.
While sitting and writing the words need your attention. It’s easy to feel distracted. That why you should know the right approach
- Before you start writing, make sure you know your goals and what the copy is going to serve.
- Take a timer and set it to 33 minutes, make sure you are focusing on work.
- Shut down the browsers and phone for the time being.
- When the timer ends, take your break for 10 minutes and repeat again.
21. Consider Using PAR Formula
While writing the copy, it can be a situation when you feel lost. It’s not something unusual, it’s called writer’s block.
You are not understanding what to write and the words are not coming naturally to you.
To get rid of this, you can use the PAR formula which is effective and simple for the business copy.
Well PAR stands for :
This gives you a format on which you can work.
- The first thing you need to work on is the problem of your customers. Find out what is troubling your customer.
- Now the agitation, make it as big as it can be.
- The problem should get real quickly too.
- The last is to resolve, now you can offer how your product or service can help in resolving the problem for them, along with the benefits.
You can understand this better by the following example –
Consider yourself a company that sells running shoes. The problem your audience is facing is running the marathon, but without getting sore feet.
Now you can talk about how this problem can cause them to put more effort into marathons. And how sore feet can cause trouble while running a marathon.
Anyone who is training for a marathon wants to get comfortable feet so they can run better.
By offering shoes that can suit the marathon without getting sore feet. Or perhaps you are selling shoes that are perfect for a long run like a marathon.
Now, use the base for writing your copy.
22. Don’t Give Reasons To Object
When you are writing your copy, avoid adding the questions that might get unwanted answers.
Well, one of the most asked questions that you can find is “ Why not give us a call?”
For that question, there might be a lot of reasons for your customer.
Maybe your customer has a lack of time or money or they don’t trust you yet.
This gives a reason for your customer to object. That’s why you should use the sentences that can be decisive, for example, “ Give us a call today “
However, if you are planning to ask the questions, make sure you are asking what your customers actually look for.
This will get yes more to your questions.
23. Consider Using Open Loops
You can consider using open loops as it will help in getting a more engaged audience to your content.
It’s most common to see the use of open loops in TV shows.
The open lops keep your audience invested in what will happen next. This keeps them on edge of their series and desperate for more.
Also, throw another open loop when you answer the previous one, this will get your audience engaged and invested in what you are offing.
24. Use Opposites For Reframing Your Copy
Since there is a lot of content out there, it can be difficult to get attention.
That’s why you can consider using different techniques for your copywriting.
You can use the opposite that will jolt the customer from their comfort zone
For example, consider the companies that sell dieting products. It’s not hard to understand that for reducing weight, a person requires to eat more healthy food and exercise.
But even if it’s obvious, every company is using it but reframing in different voices.
However, it can be reframed by using the opposite.
Instead of cutting the sugars, you can offer something that doesn’t have to go on a strict diet. Maybe they can take sweets every day.
However, make sure it’s possible and helpful.
25. Talk About What Are The Benefits
Add the benefits when you are talking about your product in your copy. Focusing on a feature can be a trap and a lot of businesses fall into that trap.
Mostly it happens in the technology industry where the copy is all about the features.
Instead of that, focus on what benefits the customer. Use their point of concern to address what makes your product suitable.
Your customer feels resonate more with the benefits instead of the features.