One of the most important and potentially challenging steps of starting a business to choose the right name for it. A right name of a business always influences the business at a very high level. First of all, we should know that what is the need for the right name for a business.
We came up with a Complete Guide to Choose a Right Name for your Startup
A successful businessman always knows that the companies name plays an important role in business. Before selecting a name always take advice, take a look at the mistakes of others, check ratings and statistics, then select a name. with the help of our companies name, we can communicate with others.
A companies name is everything for the company present, future, and perception, etc. these are some statistical data which shows that a business name is very important-
- 78%of customer says that ‘a good name of the business can give a direct impression on us.
- 58% of customer says with businessman we can make personal relation, but with we can not make these type of relations with the owners of the branded product.
- 50% consumer says that brands always creates confusion as compare to marketable products.
Difference between Brand and a Business name
in simple words the difference between a brand and the business name. a business is an exchange of goods and services in the market or produces products for sale and purchase and the name of that business known as business name and the Brand refers to the image and personality of a company applies to its products.
Famous brands such as sony, nick, and many more also the name of the parent companies. A Brand image based on its factors like quality and guarantee with high prices to the customers but the other way a business name promise customer at a lower cost with fine quality product
Why need for the right business name
When we start a new business, it is very important to choose aright and the valid name for the business. A valid name, positive and the right name can act as a way of success for the business.There are no hard and fast rules related to the choosing of the name of your business.
These are just a way or a procedure or instructions related to select the business name. These steps are not compulsory.
For example- if the companies never set a proper name for their companies, then no one can identify that company. People only say, the company who selling clothes, shoes, etc. and there is not a single company that sells these types of goods.
So, it is very difficult to choose an individual company without a special and unique name. these are some importance of a good name of the business for a business;
- 50-60% of consumers ignore ads on sides of websites and only focusing on the companies names.
- 84% of the consumer purchases goods by referral- even if they did not directly know that person.
- 90% of consumer expects that their experience with the brand will be similar across all platforms and devices.
- The right color can improve readership by improving 40% by making messaging easier to read.
- 91% of consumer says that they are more likely to purchase from an authentic company than from local companies.
Current Trends on business names
Usually, it is shown that, when we start a new business, we don’t have more knowledge about business. and we can select a name for our business which is not suitable for that product or goods. So it is very important to get some help from the internet, and from anywhere to select a good name for a business.
There are some trends which show these type of issues and their solutions;
- Don’t be offensive– if you are not selecting a good name then don’t be offensive or feeling guilty it was just a name be careful and take corrective measures to solve the problem related to the business.
- Short is better. Keep it Short, simple but make it clever. There is power in Short business names that are easy to pronounce and spell, but that doesn’t mean you have to be boring.
- Make sure it makes sense. Many Businesses are deciding such names where there i strong need to present company directly. there name suggest the nature of business.No one is going to remember your business name if it doesn’t in some way reflect what your business does—no matter how clever you try to be.
- Name should Motivate others– if you get confused, then don’t be feel shy and guilty. Be Unique and pick the name which motivate Others and Make a movement to make desire place in their heart.
- Make it yours– before you fall in love with your business name, check that name on the internet and confirm its availability. If another one using the same then please forget the name and select another one.
- Simple is better– don’t think too much just select appositive and simple name which is easy to say, easy to read and easy to remember.
Steps to Perfectly Name Your business
create a unique business name which is matching with your business. It can be clear, catchy and effective. Select the type of name which can easily be recognized by a consumer in advertisement and its stores which help to separate your product from others.
But what makes a good business name? The answer is;
- Understand your business– before selecting a name for your business, you should have a clear idea about your business target and goals. You should be able to answer the following questions:
- what does your business stand for?
- What product/service are you selling?
- What is your target audience?
- What are your business’s main personality traits?
- What are Some descriptive words that you want others to associate?
- What makes you valuable and different from your competitors?
- Think and List descriptive keywords- once you can core focus on your business, take some time to brainstorm keywords that describes your business easily and in a simple way. For example- if you are starting a photography business, a word like, “camera”, “snap”, “shoot”, “capture”, etc. are all good starting points for your business.
- Choose a name style– how do you plan to create a unique name for your business? You can use some keyword for your business name, here are a few naming options that you can consider.
- Include the name of the company founders.
- Use a single word.
- Change, add or remove letters from keywords.
- Combine two or more words.
- Create an acronym.
- The Elimination Process– Take a look at your newly organized list of ideas and start highlighting your favorites. Before you show anyone else your top choices, take a minute and ask yourself these questions:
- Find the One which Perfectly suits your Business
- Take care of Short term and Long term Goals
- Is it perfectly matching with your Company Image?
- Will it able to Create Unique image on your ideal audience?
- Does the URL look good?
- Make sure the name is available. You can do so through three different steps:
- Register your business name– once you research and decide your business name, you are ready to register your business name. start with a trademark search, to if the name you’d like is available. It is very important to register your business to make it safe and secure.
9 Tips to Choose a Right Name for Business
Stating a new business may be very hard and tough but not impossible, by taking correct measures we can easily achieve our business goals. Before starting and launching a new business we should always select and set a proper name for running your business.
There are a few things you should know before selecting a name for your business:
- 1. Find your Root Word
initially, you should know about what things make a good name for your company. If you know that what makes a good name then don’t be overthinking just take a look and select a Right Name for your Business like be: bistro, cafe, coffee, and espresso. for Coffee Shop.
The figurative words would stem from the descriptions of the literal. This means that they could be names, objects, phrases, moments, feelings, etc
- Where will you Find such Name?
- 1) Use Theasurus.com
- 2) Go and Search on A Latin Dictionary
- 3) Geographical Names Around you
- 4)Personal and Professional Influences
- 5) Hit the books at your local library and browse through the glossary
2. Avoid hard-to-spell names-
when finding and selecting a name for your business, it is very important to know and that the name should not be hard-to-spell. It becomes complicated to the customers and it gives loss to the business.
Now, we take the example of the photo-sharing company ‘Flickr’, no one can understand why the company chooses this name for a photo sharing site.
3. Don’t get a name that could be limiting as your business grows–
Avoid the narrow and meaningless name of the company, it can become harmful in the future. Now, just take the example of the Amazon company, if Jeff Bezos selected the name “Online books” instead of “Amazon”,
so avoid these types of names it can be proved harmful for the company.
4. Conduct through an internet search–
once you select a name for your company, do a web search on that name, then you can find that another one also using the same name of their company, so select a name that no other one already uses.
5. Get the .com domain name–
It is very important in the present time to secure your companies with a .com domain name rather than .net or .org etc. by securing your company with a domain name it makes more profitable compare than before.
You can check the availability of a domain name on such sites, like GoDaddy.com, NetworkSolution.com and many more. Also make sure that your desired business name is popular on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
6. Use the name that conveys some meaning–
while deciding your company name it is very important to decide a meaningful name, which conveys some positive meaning related to your business. With the help of a right, positive and meaningful name, people can easily understand your business.
for example, the site “OnlineTickets.com” directly and simply shows that the site is for booking the tickets. These types of names are very beneficial and good for the company.
7. Consider a non-dictionary word-
While selecting a name for your business, you must remember that you should never select a direct dictionary word. It can change the meaning of your companies name. Make sure that you can select a type of name which becomes memorable for everyone.
For example- youtube, Accenture, Zillow, etc. are the names of some companies which can never forget by peoples.
8. Tie it your story-
while selecting a name for your company always remember to connect your target with the public and customers.
When people ask you that ‘ how did you get this name’, then if you answer that ‘it sounds nice’, ‘it explains what we do’, then you can lose a better chance to explain your business target.
9. Colour of the logo-
33% of successful companies choose the blue color for the logo. Blue clour is said to relate one to one or direct communication.
Which helps to feel customers more personalized and free.
The History behind Some companies name
in our daily life, we heard about lots of successful companies such as Google, Panasonic, and many more names but you ever find the history behind these companies. Now, we take an example of the company Google.
There is the history behind selecting this name is explained in the following way;
- Google-from time to time you read or heard of the origin of the search engine “Google”, that is incorrect. In 1996, Larry page and Surgery Brin called their first search engine “BackRub” name for its analysis of the web “Back Links”. In 1997, Larry and their officemates discussed a large number of new names for the search engine company.
Sean and Larry were in their office, and using a whiteboard, trying to think a good name, something related to indexing an immense amount of data. Sean verbally suggested the name ‘googolplex’, and Larry responded with the short form “googol”. Sean was seated on his computer and he decided to finalize the name but by mistake when sean register the name he mistakenly searching for the name spelled as “ google.com”. which found and to be available and everyone like this name, and within hours they took the step of registering the name “google.com”,
so this was the history behind the successful company name Google and the domain name was registered on 15 September 1997.It shows that every mistake is not a mistake.
- Apple– it is a company providing the most expensive variety of mobile phones, laptops, and personal computers. when Steve Jobs wanted to create a new personal computer in the 70s, the computer was considered foreign an inaccessible. So when it comes to the companies name, job searched for friendly and inviting names to attract peoples.
- Kodak– this name shows the power of ‘K’. George Eastman, the founder of Kodak- both Camera and the Company- loved the letter ‘K’. before arriving at the name “Kodak’ in 1892, Eastman tested several combinations of a word starting and ending with ‘K’.
- Nike– in 1971, Bill Bowerman and Philip Knight, the founders of Blue Ribbon Sports were set to launch a new line of soccer shoes with a designed by Carolyn Davidson, called the swoosh.the new shoe line variety brake the records and the management wants to decide aseparate name for it. BRS consulted a greek methodology to select the name and after lots of discussions, ‘NIKE’ name is decided. It was a good name and Blue Ribbon Sports officially changed its name to Nike. Inc.
- Way fair– this company selects its name by giving this duty to a branding agency. This company also has a domain name. a spokesperson of this company wrote this in an email.
- Hopper– before 2007, the name of this company is not Hopper. In 2007, the owner of this company wants to change the name of the company and get this name. the owner wants a short, easy and quick to say the name for the company. And Hopper becomes the favorite name for the owner.
- iRobot– during the iRobots beginning, the company was briefly named Artificial Creatures Inc… However, iRobot was officially incorporated in 1990 as IS Robotics. After the 90s theinternet plays a major role in changing the name of this company. With the rapid growth of robotics, the company decides to add ‘I’ with the word ‘Robot’. ‘I’ means internet, then the word is born.
Many big and famous companies selected their business name when starting the business, and at present, these names are so famous and companies are so successful. The names such as iRobot, Hopper, Wayfair, and many more.
The history and reasons behind these existing startup names are very interesting.
So these are some existing companies name which is creative and a great history behind these names.
Here are online Ways to find a creative name
starting a business is hard but with the help of online service, we can make our business more successful. The online sites provide service to select abetter, positive and the best name for your business.
There are some online sites and online services which generate names and helps you to find a better name for your business;
- Oberle– it is a business name generator that gives u hundreds of creative name ideas for your company and business. It generates creative names according to your requirements. You can scroll through the options and select a good name and simply launch your business. Once you select a name then it will also provide a domain name to your business.
- Shopify– if you are looking to a great creative company name generator, Shopify is the best choice. You will find hundreds if not thousands of creative names for your business. The great thing about this site is that after you select a name, you can signup for a Shopify account and launch your first store with ease.
- Cool name ideas– it is a great company creative name generator, it asks you to enter the keywords which define your business, then it provides lots of names related to your business and after selecting the name it also gives a domain name to the company.
- Namelix– Namelix uses AI to generate short and brandable business names using just a few keywords of your choosing.
- Getsocio–Getsocio works in a Very best name generators. In that, you can also choose a category first to give the tool a bit more context about your business idea.and then find a great name.
- BrandBucket– BrandBucket gives you the ability to search for Creative business names you’re interested and find relevant domain names you can buy it. Otherwise browse suggested names that are available online by industry.
- SquadHelp– It is the largest online gaming platform for businesses and companies. It is a very innovative and crowdsourcing platform that harnesses the talent of over 50000 creative names to your business, brand or product. There are 2 ways to use SquadHelp;
- Naming contest– it launches a naming contest get hundreds of ideas from lots of creative peoples. Names are automatically screened for URL availability.
- Premium Domain Marketplace– buy a “Ready-to-Use” domain name from our premium name collection, curated by professional branding experts. All names are including matching.com URL, a Logo designed as well as complimentary validation features such as trademark reports and audience testing.
- Naming contest– it launches a naming contest get hundreds of ideas from lots of creative peoples. Names are automatically screened for URL availability.
So, these are some online services that are provided by different types of sites to generate the right name for your company.
Some Examples of Business name ideas
If you are finding a business name then there are lots of names according to different business;
|Name for business||Product/ Industry|
|SwipeWire||eCommerce, Technology, App Developer|
|SecureSmarter||Security, Web Security Service|
|sale starts||Sales training, Sales consulting|
|AgencyStack||Design Agency, Staffing Tools|
|Oversees||Business directory, Search engine|
|Snapcrowd||Social media, Photography|
|MusicJolt||Music app, Dance company|
These are some names of different types of businesses which can be very useful for you.
Business Name Checklist
- Make sure your Name will appeal to my ideal target audience.
- Do a Proper Google search to make sure there’s not a similar brand or company that is using this name.
- Then After Check, the U.S. Trademark Database and this name is not trademarked in my category.
- Then Check website for business entity registration, and this name is available to register in my state.
- You also make sure that there aren’t any other businesses with a similar name otherwise you will not get unique reputation.
- Avoid too common of a term or phrase that dominates the first couple of pages in search results. Otherwise, you will Feel Higher SEO competition from the Big Players
- My brand name is easy to say and remember easily. You want to make sure your audience can understand what you’re saying and easily spell it after hearing it.
- Make Sure that name isn’t offensive. Check the name to make sure it’s appropriate around the world too. The Name shouldn’t have a different meaning in another language.
- I’ve checked to make sure my brand name or a simple variation can be used as a domain name. I like to useGoDaddy.com or Google Domains to search available domain names.
- I’ve checked to make sure my brand name is available across various social media platforms. Like Instagram, Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. YOu can Check Namechk.com to be able to check availability.
Apart from this, Here is the infographic which gives you more professional insight about the deciding Business Name. Read Below
In conclusion, it can directly show in the above discussion that the right name of a company influences the company at a very high level. If the company have not the right name that it can be proved harmful and the company can suffer losses. So, before selecting a name to think and find everything about that.
Readers also Love to Read:
- 8 Perfect Sites To Generate Business Names Online
- 6 Very Useful Tips to Choose Right Business Name
- 9 Tips to Consider Perfect Name For your Business
- 148+ Unique Door Company Names idea
- 146+ Best Marine Company Names Ideas